Posted on September 6, 2011 by Shibley
When living far from loved ones in a distant land, Skype becomes a helpful tool for remaining in touch, and seeing the faces of friends and family. However, I would propose several rules of public skype ettiquite, for most a more positive skyping experience for you and those seated near you. In no particular order.
- Wear a shirt that makes it clear you’re wearing a shirt. Nobody sitting nearby wants to wonder why you’re having naked skype in public.
- Look at the other person’s video feed, not your own. Why would you look at your own picture? For that just go to the bathroom mirror.
- Please, don’t type while you skype. You think you’re multi-tasking, really its like beating a snare drum in the ears of your skype partner.
- Stay in range. There’s nothing worse than having a conversation with somebody who sounds like they’re sitting on a turntable or merry-go-round.
- Headphones, not everybody wants to hear both sides of the conversation.
- Avoid the bathroom. You might be able to get away with a phone call, but remember, you’re on video now.
Obviously, these only apply to public skyping. So if you’d like to take your shirt off, sit on a rolling chair, type, and spend some time in a private restroom while staring at yourself in the mirror, by all means. If you’ve got other ideas, feel free to post.