[Alumni Guest Post] Borscht Recipe!
Posted on February 12, 2014 by Nataliya Naydorf
You will need:
- 1 defrosted chicken thigh (or veggie bullion cube or 2 tablespoons of olive oil)
- 1 medium sized onion (peeled and whole)
- 1 half of a cabbage (grated)
- 2 medium sized potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and cubed)
- 1 beet (grated)
- ketchup (to taste) (trust me)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- sugar (usually 1 teaspoon is enough but if needed add more)
- 3 or more cloves of garlic (peeled and whole)
- dill (to taste but I usually add the whole bunch and chop it finely!)
- Boil chicken thigh and scoop off the film that rises to the top every once in a while
- When the water boils, drop in the onion and put the burner on a smaller flame
- Boil for 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes, add cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and beets and put it on a medium flame
- When the veggies are pretty softened up (but still not quite there), add ketchup, salt, pepper, and and sugar
- When everything is cooked, add the garlic and dill.
- Wait 5 minutes and turn it off! And you are done! Malodets (good job!)!